The Electra Forums

Guitar Talk about Electra and other vintage imported guitars
Home
Index of Models
The Electra Forums
PM Inbox
It is currently Fri Jul 26, 2024 6:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: ElectraFest 2009
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:25 am 

It is a nice neck and I suspect it is one from the intrchangable set

I will PM X189. Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:37 am 

Just in case anyone was wondering, the recordings we made at ElectraFest were rough (to put it mildly). Three things went wrong, firstly I find out that one of the guitar mics wasn't patched in correctly, so Redeye is there in spirit only! Secondly the vocal send was too hot and distorted, and thirdly there is so much bleed on the vocal mics that when you try to bring them up in the mix the drums are about the only thing you hear any more of. Some of this is to be expected when you're recording live, but I should have been with it enough to patch in that other guitar mic. ah well, I'll probably still try to mix something down, maybe an instrumental!

I've got some specs on the guitars that were there for posterity, actually took a bunch of neck measurements, but I'm just putting in the nut width here:

X189 Red Burst Weight 9lb 12oz, Width at nut: 1.66 inches (heaviest guitar there!)

X110 Pearl White Weight 8lbs 15oz. W@N: 1.64 inches

X720 Antique Burst Wt: 8lbs 13 oz. W@N: 1.74 inches

X310 Black Wt: 8lbs 4 oz. W@N: 1.71 inches

PCM Strat Red Wt: 6 lbs 11 oz. W@N: 1.7 inches (lightest there, I only played this guitar a little bit, but it was nice)

X250 Walnut Stain Wt: 8lbs 3oz. W@N: 1.69 inches

X935 Blackburst Wt: 8lbs even W@N: 1.7 inches

X935cs Cherry Sunburst (1 serial number away from above) Wt: 8lbs 7oz. W@N:1.68 inches

X935cs Cherry Sunburst w/ bookmatched body Wt: 9lbs 9 oz. W@N: 1.7 inches

X810 Antique Sunburst Wt: 8lbs 1 oz W@N: 1.60 inches (mmm, skinny)

Westone Spectrum (X140BK) Black Wt: 7lbs 12 oz. W@N: 1.67 inches

X730 Project (missing many parts) Wt: 7lbs 11 oz. W@N: 1.7 inches

X135GR Burn Victim Wt: 8lbs 11 oz W@N: 1.66 inches

X130NA Wt: 7lbs 14 oz W@N: 1.64 inches

There must be more to a neck size than just measurements (profile!) as the size of the Outlaw and Endorsers really aren't that different on paper, yet feel completely different:

X935cs W@N: 1.68 W@5th fret: 1.86 W@12th fret: 2.00 Thick@1st fret: .83 T@12th fret: .99

Outlaw: W@N: 1.7 W@5th fret: 1.86 W@12th fret: 2.06 T@1st: .86 T@12th: 1.00

So on paper these are very similar, but in your hands the outlaw neck feels chunkier (to me...). Enjoy, Mike.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:15 am 

Nice info Mike! I'm a little surprised that the x135 is heavier than my x310 and on par with the x720. Man, those Phoenix bodies are heavy! Explains the nice tone and sustain I guess....

Bummer about the recording mix, but heck - after the success of EF'09, I highly doubt that it will be the last!

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:17 pm 

Phoenix bodies are heavy because they're made out of solid canadian rock maple, same as they use to make bowling lanes out off. It's laminated together in about four strips like a butcher block, and the rock maple is so dense and uniform that it's as resonant as a solid piece. Laminating wood was something Matsumoku was always very good at.

(exception: X130's and X140's had ash bodies, and it's possible that by 85 the lower priced Spectrums might have had a lighter wood like alder (or whatever that asian equivalent is called)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:17 pm 

Just got my new-to-me X185. WOW! This thing is in serious need of some sanding. This weekend I'm going to get to work on sanding the body and stripping off some of the purple paint on the neck and headstock. I'm a little concerned though about losing the logo; some of the purple is mingled in with it. Any ideas about working around it (besides very carefully :lol: )??
I'll put up some pics too before I start on it.

Again, thanks to X and Pro for all of their time and efforts.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:04 pm 

Glad you like it! There is a latex remover you might try, it breaks up latex paint but leaves urethane alone. you might try that and a toothbrush.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:55 pm 

rockinelectra9 wrote:
Just got my new-to-me X185. WOW! This thing is in serious need of some sanding. This weekend I'm going to get to work on sanding the body and stripping off some of the purple paint on the neck and headstock. I'm a little concerned though about losing the logo; some of the purple is mingled in with it. Any ideas about working around it (besides very carefully :lol: )??
I'll put up some pics too before I start on it.

Again, thanks to X and Pro for all of their time and efforts.

Holy hell, man - tell me you had a thrash on it before setting down to business!?!?! :o :D

Because even the Australians need heroes."

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:22 am 

Quote:
Holy hell, man - tell me you had a thrash on it before setting down to business!?!?! :o :D

HA! Take a look at the thread below, and you'll see what I got. Included were two MMK's and that's all there is to this faded beauty. She doesn't look like much now, but she will when I'm done with her 8) But to answer your question, there has been no thrashing going on here...yet :P

http://www.rivercityamps.com/electraforum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4225

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5