The Electra Forums

Guitar Talk about Electra and other vintage imported guitars
Home
Index of Models
The Electra Forums
PM Inbox
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 5:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:12 am 

I also applaud your effort;

Good Job!

RCSBlues :oops: :up:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:30 am 

mortarman120gang11c wrote:
...Hope to see you and hear her at the electrafest in 2010...

Well, my attendance is a possibility, depends on work, and location of course...
While I was planning on keeping the 720, I snagged a 730 in alot better shape that 'll be keeping instead. the 720 will help pay for the 730. I ust like the challenge of putting the back together for others to use... :wink: I can only just strum some chords, and even that is rusty at this point... :rofl: Too many "hobbies" :blush: I've also done a repair and set-up of a banjo, and I haven't a clue how to play :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:57 am 

mcbrat wrote:
I can only just strum some chords, and even that is rusty at this point...

Leo Fender couldn't play at all, and look where he took the guitar world! Thanks for your in depth reporting of this rebuild, including all the photos and diagrams, great stuff! Mike.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:12 pm 

woo hoo! got the remaining parts today to button it up. will get final pictures tonight, and finish up the 5-way diagrams...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:27 pm 

Colored and pin numbers added...

and finally, the pics....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:41 am 

:up: :up: :up: :up: :love: 8) That really turned out to be a beauty. It is always great to see another Electra revived from the parts graveyard. I really like the black tuners they really look good. You did a very professional job and I bet she sounds great. This was indeed a labor of love and sweat. Thanks for the updated wiring info as well. It is a shame that someone parted her out but now she has just gotten her second wind and has many more years left in her. What type of case is that.I need a case for my outlaw but have been unable to find a case wide enough. Looks Great and Great work. :up: :up: :up: :up:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:09 am 

Nice job there and thanks for the diagrams. I know you have two now but you may want to live with this one before you decide to part with her. Sometimes the more worn ones play better. Not to mention the satisfaction of knowing you brought her back to playing condition. Thanks for all the great info that was part of this project thread.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:46 am 

mortarman120gang11c wrote:
:up: :up: :up: :up: :love: 8) That really turned out to be a beauty. It is always great to see another Electra revived from the parts graveyard. I really like the black tuners they really look good. You did a very professional job and I bet she sounds great. This was indeed a labor of love and sweat. Thanks for the updated wiring info as well. It is a shame that someone parted her out but now she has just gotten her second wind and has many more years left in her. What type of case is that.I need a case for my outlaw but have been unable to find a case wide enough. Looks Great and Great work. :up: :up: :up: :up:

thanks! It was a fun build....

The case is a Stagg case made for a LP.
The guy who parted it, is an Electra Fan as well (he has few) and I think he is on this board. He used some of the parts to restore a x-730. A valid tradeoff in my mind because IMHO the 730 is a nicer looking finish :wink:

The biggest thing that leads to these being parted out, is the wiring. Probably more so with the 310-350 as those are usually gutted, then wired like a reguar LP.

This rebuild used the original pickups, but all the switches, pots, cap, resistors, and even the module connectors are brand new. I did reuse a 5-way knob though to keep it looking original...

with the new strings on and tuned up now, it feels really good. Action is good. it appears to have been played a lot in the past, as the frets have wear spots in them (can be seen in the pics)... but here's no buzzing at all.

The knobs look good on it too. they are the "scalloped" edge speed knobs like some of the phoenix's had.

The x-310 I picked up earlier as a "guide" donated it's control cavity cover to the 720 and the 720's cover went to the 310 because it had some holes in i where a switch had been added at some point.... actually, the 310 came in the stagg case too... but moved to the 720 now.... since it fit.

I finally got close to the neck set-up needed for my fretless Longnecker project too, and it doesn't feel too bad... so this round of projects are done, and will be sent on their way to new owners, while I look for new projects... :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:52 am 

Workingman wrote:
Nice job there and thanks for the diagrams. I know you have two now but you may want to live with this one before you decide to part with her. Sometimes the more worn ones play better. Not to mention the satisfaction of knowing you brought her back to playing condition. Thanks for all the great info that was part of this project thread.

I want to pull them out side by side, and see what kind of sound differences there are, if any, since I used 100k pots instead of 150k for the module controls.

they feel the same really. I need to have Superchief bring over his 710 for some real comparisons by a player...

the 730 isn't pure mint condition, but the frets are in better shape... I want to get some good side by side pics too to really show off the color differences...

Post subject: Re: Outlaw x-720 Project
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:44 pm 

mcbrat wrote:
And I did use the Steve Higdon toggle switch wiring as well, but this is one I believe needs "fixed".

Did my old diagram have mistakes? Sorry!

You did a great job reviving the Outlaw.

Post subject: Re: Outlaw x-720 Project
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:01 am 

ultra sonic wrote:
mcbrat wrote:
And I did use the Steve Higdon toggle switch wiring as well, but this is one I believe needs "fixed".

Did my old diagram have mistakes? Sorry!

You did a great job reviving the Outlaw.

the only thing wrong was the input and output wires for the second module connector to the toggle. you had the output from the first toggle going to the output of the #2 module connector and the input of the module connector wired to the output of the toggle (to the jack). If that makes sense.....

long ago I had thoughts of adding MPC stuff to a Longnecker, but the original wiring components were so hard to come by, but it can be done with all new stuff like this one was....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:42 am 

Very nice mcbrat! I applaud your efforts! :up:

Well done on the diagram updates as well. No telling how many folks that will help out down the road.

Man, I LOVE this place! :love:

PS - proendorser - I would never berate anyone's tastes in music....ever. But, I just gotta say that if I were soldering while the Carpenters were playing, I just may shove the iron in my ear to make it stop. :D
Just kiddin' mate. Carpenters are OK. I just couldn't pass it up.....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:31 am 

:)

I don't remember what I had playing...

Either recent Boz Boorer, or The Wolfmen, or some vintage Adam and the Ants....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:57 pm 

Karen Carpenters voice could calm anybody down man, it looked like a pretty hairy soldering project to me. Epic Thread McB.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4