Home
Index of Models
The Electra Forums
PM Inbox
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: old Memphis
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:45 pm 

This was an odd one- Vintage strat body with a single humbucker- a Bill Lawrence double rail, no less- and an LP-style 3x3 neck! Only the old tortoiseshell pickguard could make all that make sense somehow, in a single guitar.

I had to have it. Memphis was (in those days) a variant name for early Ibanez, made at Fuji Gen Gakke.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:43 pm 
That is an interesting find, Xman. Appears to me the single HB is more or less in the mid position? If so, seems very unusual, as single Pup guitars usually have it either up at the neck or down at the bridge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:27 pm 
I'm guessing that is a sheet metal bridge and tailpiece, and it almost looks like the tuners are strip tuners. With that in mind I may have had one single coil in it which wouldn't be all that odd for an early Japanese guitar. I'd almost bet the L/XL500 did not come stock in it. :D I don't know what you gave for the guitar, but that pickup, in particular if it is older, is probably worth more than the guitar!

Post subject: Re: old Memphis
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:02 pm 
X189player wrote:
I had to have it. Memphis was (in those days) a variant name for early Ibanez, made at Fuji Gen Gakke.

Interesting, do you have any links for that? Lately someone at the Tokai forum asked if this brand was made by them, and I couldn't find any connections between them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:57 pm 

If you search this site under the keyword Memphis, you'll get some discussion of this- what I reported was a summary of it. I assume it's true, but I'm no Ibanez expert.

Yeah, the pickup is interesting. I too assume it's not original (what was? early hum-shaped single coil is probably correct) but it would be neat to leave it there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:53 pm 
I had a blue one like that once. Strictly beginnersville. The body is plywood. The pickup is original, but it's a look-alike, not a real Bill Lawrence. I know lots of sellers hype these guitars as having Lawrence pickups, but that's not so. I'm not sure of the Ibanez connection, either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:03 pm 
X189player wrote:
If you search this site under the keyword Memphis, you'll get some discussion of this- what I reported was a summary of it. I assume it's true, but I'm no Ibanez expert.

I'm brain dead today, been up since yesterday. :o For the life of me I can't find that thread linking Ibanez to Memphis. Could you point it out for a senile old man? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:33 pm 
These were the ones I found here:

http://www.therathole.org/guitars/ggboa ... ht=memphis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:50 pm 

it's actually quite small. The neck is full-scale, but look at how the bridge is almost at the bottom of the body. It's thin, too, barely an inch thick. But yet the proportions are right, and it's not bad to play! I need to restring it and see if the truss rod can be adjusted a bit, but I'll tell you what, it's not the worst guitar I've played, and so far it appears that it could be a solid guitar and with good setup work might be a real player.

But yeah, small. LIke 3/4 size, like a parlor strat.

What it really seems like to me is yes, a beginner's guitar, but like a really good one for someone young or small. And I'm a big advocate for giving beginners really good instruments. Can you imagine being eight and getting to play something like a good strat, getting that tone? I woulda been hooked, man, but all there was around was these nasty steel acoustics that cut my fingers. i figured guitar was hard.

So I think I'll give this one some TLC and make it a parlor guitar wallhanger... until one of the dozen or so children I know gets old enough to get interested in playing guitar- and then someone will get a really cool axe to learn on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:00 pm 
whats the most any memphis would be worth

would some higher end memphis models be worth $400-500

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:49 pm 

FIreMarshall
The story on Memphis guitars is still a bit obscure and the little
there is must be taken with a grain of salt.

4 to 5 bills is out of range even for the better ones but things
could change at and given time.

Some folks mention how much they like the ones they have.

Its a buyers market on these and good deals to be had.

Do you have a picture of one you can show us?

More info here:

Xman
How did yours come out after the setup?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:27 pm 
hmm let me remember

It was a '79 LP. mahogany, set in neck, honeyburst, pretty good condition - the only mark I can remember is a tiny chip on the flame top. As far as I remember I really liked the tone. It did come with its OHSC which is in excellent condition. On the tag it said "Tokai" so I think that the dealer is pushing the price ($450) because he thinks it's Tokai and he thinks it's worth more because it is also advertised as "Lawsuit".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:47 am 

Be wary of this dealer.
He just shot himself in the foot and sealed his reputation as a scam artist.

First by deliberately using the Tokai tag which he knows it is not.
Second by using hype tactics with the "Lawsuit" moniker.

Run don't walk, far from this dealer. He is not your friend.

Take your time and do some homework before you plop down your dough.

I think you can get a top of the line Memphis like the one you mention for
around 2 bills tops if you shop around.

See why "Lawsuit" is meaningless:
http://www.therathole.org/guitars/rants ... ml#lawsuit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:07 pm 
went back to the shop today to give the memphis one last try and I thought 'screw it ill just put new pups in my Hondo and be happy with that'

thanks for the help