The Electra Forums

Guitar Talk about Electra and other vintage imported guitars
Home
Index of Models
The Electra Forums
PM Inbox
It is currently Fri Jul 26, 2024 6:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:32 am 

I ran across this comment on the Somethign Awful forums, they were talking about guns, but I thought it was most appropriate for guitars:

"Everyone who posted a number and or detailed list, clearly does not own enough.

If you have to sit down and think about it and can't count that high you have enough. "

I guess I have enough :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:22 am 

Who's counting?

Not quite at 10 - but working on it!

RCSBlues :oops: :up:

Last edited by RCSBlues on Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:26 am 

I too have resorted to lists, as I can't always recall them from memory... although I do admire those artists who have a single guitar associated with them: Brian May (the Red Special, handmade by him and his Father), Willie Nelson and his beat up Martin that he's named 'Trigger' whose front is literally worn through from use, or Bruce Springsteen and his ancient Blackguard Telecaster (or is it a Broadcaster?).

I often think about what fellow Duo-Sonic collector and Journalist Tim Pershing once wrote me: 'At the end of the day, you can only play so many guitars Mike'.

I will say that it's a drag trying to keep decent strings on your work horses, you know the feeling, you get that hankering to play the Rickenbacker, but when you take it out of the case you find that it's got four year old strings on it... and then by the time you get new strings on it, stretch them out and tune them up, and if you've got ADD like me, by that time you're itching to use a Floyd Rose, or make lunch!

I do remember one Christmas break where I made a conscience effort to restring all my guitars (buy my strings in bulk!), and I got through all but two, ah well, there's always next year...

I also encourage players to try new things, I bought a Mandolin a few years ago, and it's been a real education learning 5ths. Banjo's can be a blast too. I think ten Guitars is a good starting point... I guess I need to sell some now! Cheers, Mike.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:49 am 

The nice thing about bass is that old strings are ok. That said, there is nothing like the sound of new strings if you are slapping and popping. Unfortunatly you get less than 4 hours of playing time before the sound is gone. Back when I played many hours (in three bands) I changed string once a week. It's funny but as a bass player I have not had quite the same level as GAS as I have now that I play more guitar. One bass was all I needed though a backup was nice. I also have a fretless, a five string and an acoustic. That said I realy am not GASing strongly for more and would not miss the five string or the acoustic that much. But show me a nice guitar and :love:

I also got a mandolin a few years back and like having to think in 5ths. I started taking voice lessons a could of months back and that changes your prespective too.

I refuse to count the number of guitars but I think it is under ten.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:54 am 

Well, isn't that odd; everyone's had a lash at another instrument!! yep, me too - I have a mandolin, banjo, lap steel and a synth, all of which I've played onstage at some point, but it has to be said, the banjo, and mandolin have been relegated to a cupboard as I do not have the patience - or the aptitude! - to be able to play them "properly"!! :hyper:
Of them all, though, I do like the lap steel as an instrument to add flavour to a tune...very cool with the taps opened up and a touch of echo, reverb and overdrive.... :wink:
Point of fact, since we've shifted to the North Island of NZ in preparation for emigration, everything apart from an old strat project and an acoustic have gone into storage, so I am Matsumoku-less for the first time in 25+ years! :(

So for those who are able to play, look at and fondle your myriad Electras,Westones, APII's, Vantages et al... spare a thought for me.... :bawl:

Because even the Australians need heroes."

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:49 pm 

Anything you would like me to say to them or play on them for you?

When will you be in NA? Let me know if you are going to pass through New York City.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:26 pm 

:huh: :huh: :blush: There can never be a set amount of instruments for any musician I think. To each his or her own. With each new model or style we all learn new ways to play each instrument and endeavor to learn the styles associated with each one. Who's counting, musical instruments are like fine art I guess, each one must be studied and played to be appreciated even more. :P

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:48 pm 

My wife knows exactly how many guitars I own. She tells me the exact number every time I look at another one. She also recites the exact number everytime she wants something and I mention our budget. Oh,,,,she does the same thing with the guns as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:53 pm 

Workingman wrote:
Anything you would like me to say to them or play on them for you?
When will you be in NA? Let me know if you are going to pass through New York City.

Just treat 'em nicely and kick into "Turning Japanese", "Classical Gas" and "Third rate romance" for me!! (I do all three on my X195 live... in one set; sounded pretty darn good, too!)

Theoretically, January next year on the west coast, working our way over to the east coast in a year or two, if everything pans out... we have family in NY - Binghampton(?), I think,- so we can bludge off them when we get there!! :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:26 pm 

Well, if you're anywhere near Seattle, look me up!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:47 am 

We're initially - atm! - heading for a wee town in BC called Powell River just north of Vancouver, so a visit to Chez X189 is well in hand.... :lol:

:rofl: (told ya there'd be a time when me and mine would front up on yer doorstep!!)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:16 am 

[/quote]

Just treat 'em nicely and kick into "Turning Japanese", "Classical Gas" and "Third rate romance" for me!! (I do all three on my X195 live... in one set; sounded pretty darn good, too!)

Theoretically, January next year on the west coast, working our way over to the east coast in a year or two, if everything pans out... we have family in NY - Binghampton(?), I think,- so we can bludge off them when we get there!! :D[/quote]

I may have to look those up but it could be fun :D

It is hard to get to Bridgehampton without passing through NYC. I would aim for spring or fall there. Winter is cold and barren and summer is swamped with people escaping NYC heat.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:54 pm 

corsair wrote:
Well, isn't that odd; everyone's had a lash at another instrument!! yep, me too - I have a mandolin, banjo, lap steel and a synth, all of which I've played onstage at some point, but it has to be said, the banjo, and mandolin have been relegated to a cupboard as I do not have the patience - or the aptitude! - to be able to play them "properly"!! :hyper:
Of them all, though, I do like the lap steel as an instrument to add flavour to a tune...very cool with the taps opened up and a touch of echo, reverb and overdrive.... :wink:
Point of fact, since we've shifted to the North Island of NZ in preparation for emigration, everything apart from an old strat project and an acoustic have gone into storage, so I am Matsumoku-less for the first time in 25+ years! :(

So for those who are able to play, look at and fondle your myriad Electras,Westones, APII's, Vantages et al... spare a thought for me.... :bawl:

Wait, what are we counting again? I've had my hands on several other instruments, wind instruments, string instruments. didn't quite get into drums and percussion though.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:53 am 

OK, lets look at this practically, you need to own at least these types of guitars:

Acoustic Dreadnought
Electric with Single Coils
Electric with Humbuckers
Electric with Vibrato Tailpeice
Semi-Hollow 335 style

With the above instruments you could hit just about any music Genre out there, but no self respecting guitarist would be content with that, so we add this group of guitars that have a certain unique quality/sound to them:

Classical gut string
Acoustic/Electric
12 string acoustic
12 string Electric
Other Vibrato (Vintage, Bigsby, Floyd Rose, B-Bender or Related: D-tuner)
Coral Sitar
Big Fat Jazz Box
Electric with Synth or Midi pickup
7 String Shredder

(By the way I don't own any of these except the Floyd Rose!) These would cover just about any sound you could need. But all of these guitars speak only of utility, which brings us to the emotional part of guitar ownership:

Guitar for Live use (hey Honey, I can't take my 'Good' Guitars to the gig)
Backup for Live work (what if I break a string?)
Guitar just like the one you had in Highschool (you know the one that played so badly you couldn't wait to get rid of... well, you still want one)
Guitar just like the one you sold in College for books (why, why, why did I ever sell?)
Guitar just like (Insert Favorite Artist) plays (now I'll be able to nail that solo in Bohemian Rhapsody!!)
Reissue of a Classic 50's axe you'd never be able to afford (look hon, faded paint job!)
Guitar that relative gives you when their son loses interest (gee thanks Aunt Mary)
Guitar that you paid next to nothing for at a garage sale (all it needs is a bridge!)
Guitar Identical to your best player (two is better than just one... right?)
Guitar you tell your wife is hers, even though she doesn't play (what a great scam!)
Investment Guitar (It can only go up in value Dear, it was a limited edition!!)
Other Investment Guitar (so what if it has a neck repair, it was actually made in Kalamazoo in the 60's!)
Other Other Investment Guitar that causes your wife to leave you (much more room in the closet now)
Project guitar that you find on eBay that you still haven't finished (hey all it needs is pickups and hardware...)
Kitchy European that you find on eBay while searching for something completely different (whoa I've never seen anything like it, It'll make a great 'Surf' guitar)
Guitar you buy to smash in your low budget Music Video, but then end up keeping when your lead vocalist wigs out and becomes a pacifist ('nuff said)

So there you have it, the serious Guitarist needs at least 30 guitars... at least. Cheers, Mike.

P.S. Any similarity to members situation here is purely coincidental, not making fun of anybody but myself!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:29 pm 

:rofl: :rofl: oh, I think we're all a little guilty of most of that!! Brilliant!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next