Guitar Talk about Electra and other vintage imported guitars
Home
Index of Models
The Electra Forums
PM Inbox
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 5:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:07 am 

Alright.... here is some MPC foolishness that you've never seen before! Because it's custom, handmade stuff.

First up, the classic Fuzz Face circuit that I built on a Power Overdrive circuit board...

Sounds much cooler than any of the stock MPC distortion or fuzz modules I've ever heard. I'll post a clip when I get a chance.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:46 pm 

Ok, here's another hand made, unique MPC accessory...

That's right-- it's an MPC module host in a wah pedal enclosure. My initial idea, because I really like the MPC Phaser, was that I wanted to use it with instruments other than my MPC guitar. So a simple enclosure was called for, but then why not make the modulation speed foot adjustable? So I dug around the parts bin and found a dead wah pedal.

I wouldn't call it a perfect "road ready" implementation, but it fits my needs. As a studio engineer, I didn't really need a bypass switch because I'll just hook this thing up for a specific sound- I wouldn't need to switch it in and out during a performance. Also, I didn't want to have to go fully toe forward to switch it like a traditional wah pedal, so I just left the bypass switch out of the circuit.

Anyway, that's another of my custom projects, I hope you guys get a kick out of some of my collection of weird gear! I've got more, too...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:48 am 

Radical and Brilliant at the same time. When JMM suggested a pedal board I imagined a big foot board with a couple of sockets for the modules, but an old wah wah pedal is a stroke of genius. Kudos to you.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:41 am 

Last edited by JMM on Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:09 am 

That's a nice idea. My Morley wha has a separate on-off switch so you don't have to change the wha position. If you decide that you want an on-off that should be simple for you to do.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:32 am 

JMM wrote:
It's a wonder SLM never did anything like that.

I think that to do so would have meant admitting the fundamental flaw of the MPC concept-- which is that, when you're playing the guitar your hands are busy. It really makes more sense to control the effects with your feet, as least as far as turning them on and off! So, to make a product that undermines the exact functionality upon which you've based your product-- well, I just don't think they could have brought themselves to do that.

JMM wrote:
How does it sound with your other guitars and compared to other phaser pedals?

The phaser sounds quite nice, and exactly as you would expect. Nothing ground breaking, just a good vintage phaser. It's cool to have the speed control under foot- ends up working kind of like a Dunlop Rotovibe. I also have tested the Octave module in the pedal, so you get foot control of the blending between octave and direct signals. I really haven't tested many of the modules to see how the taper of the control feels.

It would be reasonably easy to put a bypass switch on the side, and an LED active indicator, and a power supply jack.

Thanks for the positive comments, guys.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:52 am 

8) 8) :up: :up: That is one cool pedal/interface. I like the idea of the foot pedal to control the speed of the phase and effect. this is a simple but awesome idea and concept. Congrats.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:34 am 

While I'm at it, I should post these modules, too. I didn't make these, but I did get them with my X-330 when I bought it on ebay several years ago (circa 2000). The previous owner of the guitar made these, I guess. I don't think he mentioned them in the auction, but when he shipped the guitar to me they were included.

First up is a module that I call the Oregon Overdrive. The guitar's previous owner lived in Oregon, so that's where the name comes from. It's built on a Power Overdrive circuit board and is a simple circuit based around a single transistor and a couple diodes. Probably an adaptation of some well known pedal, but I've never drawn the circuit out to compare it to anything. It's louder and scruffier than a standard Power Overdrive, a bit like a Thorny with some added hair.

These two also came with the guitar. Obviously entirely home made, adapted from-- well, I have no idea what the circuit boards were scavenged from! The one on the left is a Fuzz Face type thing, and was the inspiration behind the one that I built. On the right is a basic wah pedal circuit. It's not particularly good sounding, but it does work. I guess I should try it in my MPC Wah enclosure!

Let me repeat: I DID NOT MAKE THESE! Pretty crude construction, but you've got to appreciate the effort! I don't regularly use these modules, they're pretty kludgey and somewhat delicate. The Oregon Overdrive is usable because it has it's own box, but the other two just sit there naked.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:29 pm 

Last edited by JMM on Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:45 pm 

Those hand made ones are wild man! Crude looking with recycled parts, they make me think of some guy tinkering in a basement somewhere. Off the charts cool Sonic. Your work, on the other hand is too polished (wink wink).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:05 pm 

proendorser wrote:
Those hand made ones are wild man! Crude looking with recycled parts, they make me think of some guy tinkering in a basement somewhere. Off the charts cool Sonic. Your work, on the other hand is too polished (wink wink).

Definately recycled parts. It's crazy stuff and I'm a little surprised it even works. When I heard how good his home made Fuzz Face sounded I copied the circuit and even moved the exact transistors over to mine.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:37 pm 

That IS cool! I like all the stuff, the home-made modules and the wah-enclosure. Very cool! :up:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:38 am 

ultra sonic wrote:
I think that to do so would have meant admitting the fundamental flaw of the MPC concept-- which is that, when you're playing the guitar your hands are busy. It really makes more sense to control the effects with your feet, as least as far as turning them on and off! So, to make a product that undermines the exact functionality upon which you've based your product-- well, I just don't think they could have brought themselves to do that.

I agree with that 100%. I always loved MPC's "in theory". But deep down I always new that pedals were on the floor for a reason, personally my hands aren't fast enough to be that busy...LOL. I always loved the Phaser, Flanger and Thorny's Overdrive as well as the compressor. But I also always wished they were on the floor.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:07 am 

The Electraman wrote:
I agree with that 100%. I always loved MPC's "in theory". But deep down I always new that pedals were on the floor for a reason, personally my hands aren't fast enough to be that busy...LOL. I always loved the Phaser, Flanger and Thorny's Overdrive as well as the compressor. But I also always wished they were on the floor.

It's like my friend j. hayes says, "I'm playing guitar. I've got both hands busy and both feet free!"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:29 am 

ultra sonic wrote:

It's like my friend j. hayes says, "I'm playing guitar. I've got both hands busy and both feet free!"

I used to chat with J. in the early days of the page. Knowledgeable guy, SLM, right? I'm lucky if I can play chords and chew gum at the same time...can't be mixing onboard effects AND pedals in, that's the stuff strokes are made of...LOL.