Guitar Talk about Electra and other vintage imported guitars
Home
Index of Models
The Electra Forums
PM Inbox
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:36 pm 

My first Electra guitar just arrived in the mail, and was pleasantly surprised that there are hardly any scratches on it (the photos to look at weren't the greatest quality). Also, has its original HSC in great shape, and the trem arm too.

Anyway, the guitar looks identical to the X175 photo in the Index of Models
(same shape & headstock), except that the bottom pickup is a humbucker on mine.
Also, my selector switch is a 5-way not a 3-way. The 5th (bottom) position acts as a kill switch. And, the bottom knob is a push/pull type.

I'm thinking, did a previous owner do a mod on this this X175? Looking beneath the humbucker I can see cut unpainted wood, as if someone did an expansion. There is also a shim on the left & right side of the humbucker.

I was also thinking maybe an X190, but the screws on both my single pickups are in a parallel line with the posts -- 2 screws on each side. The Index photo shows screws in the 4 corners, not like mine.

I'm just not familiar enough with Electras to tell which model this is.

This is a 1983, going off the S/N of 3020172 and the SLM Guitar Shop sticker on the cavity plate that reads "Adjusted by Rene Lopez 4-83"

This guitar really looks and plays amazing; that sticker is the icing on the cake!

Thanks in advance to anyone who can clue me in on the model number.

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii6 ... 1c1bd3.jpg

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:58 pm 

I think we discussed this guitar when it was in eBay or Craig's list. I think we determined that it was most likely an x175 that someone routed out to fit a HB pick-up. It looks like someone did some mods to this one with the pick-up and the switch.

Going by the s/n your Electra was the 172 guitar built in February 1983 and then it took a couple of months to reach SLM where Rene Lopez did his adjustments ( and left his sticker for you) in April.

Welcome to the world of Electras!

"My guitar wants to kill your Mama" - Frank Zappa & The Mothers of Invention

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:16 pm 

Thank you very much. Looks like my hunch was right.

So was the push/pull knob stock on these, or was that modded too?

My first Electra experience was holding one of the Les Paul models last August at a guitar shop on a trip to Houston. I should have played it, but I was in a hurry.

I couldn't pass up the price on this one, esp. with the case. I didn't know what to expect, and had no idea it was an '83.

I recently sold an Ovation Celebrity strat (Korea), and this Phoenix plays so much better, and I like the smaller tuning keys.

This one just became my top player, along with my MIJ Sterling Les Paul. Love Electras!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:24 pm 

Welcome to the forums and nice electa you have scored also. Enjoy and beware the Electra egas. :up:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:38 pm 

I think there was a push pull pot on your Phoenix. Some of the S-S-S configs had this stock (phase reverse?). I do not know of any that offered a kill switch position though.

"My guitar wants to kill your Mama" - Frank Zappa & The Mothers of Invention

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:26 pm 

Hi all. I'm the original owner of an X175JB that I purchased in 1983 (SN: 3063613). To answer the question about the push-pull knob, it is a phase reverse when two pickups are active. The pickups on mine are all single coil so it does look like someone put the humbbucker in there. Mines no longer completely stock, though I have all the stock parts. I've replace the pickups with Lace Sensors and the saddles with Graphtech String Savers. I also recently shielded and rewired. Oh, and the tremolo is blocked off. Mine would go out of tune just thinking about touching the bar. It was really good at breaking strings too!

Pics of mine: http://dbeedle.com/Guitar/