Index of Models
The Electra Forums
PM Inbox
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 5:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: My Electra
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:48 am 

We'll I'm back.
I was registered for a couple of weeks but I got bounced for some reason and all of my posts were removed and my login wouldn't work any more. So I guess I'll start over and try not to tick anybody off this time.

I stumbled on this forum while trying to find out some info on my Electra. I started playing again after about 20 years of only messing around with it on very rare occasions.
A friend of mine practically gave me an old Gibson SG (Norlins era) that got me interested again. I had always wanted one of these. The only real guitar I had ever owned was this Japanese Les Paul copy that I had in my closet all these years. I really enjoyed playing again and one day pulled out the old Electra so a friend could play along. After cleaning it up and putting on some fresh strings I remembered how fun it was to play.
I purchased it used at my local music shop in about '78 or '79. I had been saving up for a new one just like it but was sold already when I went back for it. A couple of days later this one became available. It was the exact same guitar but it had been modified with DiMarzio pick-ups. I snatched it up (I believe I paid around $129 for it) a enjoyed playing it through my garage band years until I got married and it eventually found it's way into the closet (it's always a woman that breaks up the band).
Anyhow, I was blown away when I found this forum and realized the interest level in Electra guitars. I had no idea but I'm sure glad I kept mine all these years.
I did post pics of it before I was booted and I know some of you have given me some info. It looks like an early PCM model Super Rock but I know I haven't seen pics of any on your forum with the black headstock.I added a couple of mods myself. A brass nut and Grover tuners. I didn't know any better at the time but they did make it play better.

Sorry for the super long post but I wanted to share my Electra story with you all.
Great forum.

Post subject: Re: My Electra
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:28 pm 

Welcome back, clean guitar. Did the brass nut make a difference over the plastic?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:51 pm 

It was a long time ago but I think I was trying to brighten the sound up some and it seemed to help. Sounds great through the old Fender Champ 30w that I picked up to practice with.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:16 am 

Thanks, I have a MPC that came with a plastic nut and the later models came with brass.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:04 pm 

Nice guitar. I don't think you torqued anyone off. We have had problems with spambots. Your membership probably got mixed up with them.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:35 pm 

I know. I made the mistake of replying to one of them.
By the way, you guys have got me hooked. I just drove my daughter cross country to school and found myself pulling over every time I spotted a pawn shop, just in case. I'm enjoying all the Electra knowledge.
Thanks
Mike

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:18 pm 

Well, you dont have to do the pawn shop thing unless you just want to. They're making brand new ones as we speak. All the reviews are :up: :up: . Check out the new web site and see for yourself.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:26 pm 

I know. I have checked out the new ones and they look sweet. I just can't justify spending much on another guitar right now for what I do. Same with some of the old ones I've seen on eBay. Way too much for me right now. A rescue does sound appealing though if I find the right one.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:08 am 

Hey, I tried to remove those spam posts and possibly in the process I might have done that. It was not intentional and I apologize. I am not out to delete anyone on the forum - only the spammers. I don't do this too often and so sorry again. Not exactly sure how I did it. But I very well could have trying to get that garbage off the forum and keep it clean. Sorry again to anyone that may have gotten deleted by mistake! :toopid:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:32 am 

Not to worry.